iPhone 11 Pro Max
Of all the phones released by Apple in 2019, the iPhone 11 Pro Max takes the crown as the biggest of the bunch. This is the unit that went all out on specs and came down hard on the true flagships from other competitors.
Currently in contention for the top spot with the likes of the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, we dive under the hood to see if this is worthy of replacing the amazing iPhone XS Max we saw last year.
iPhone 11 Pro Max Key Specs and Features
- 6.5 inch Super Retina XDR OLED Display, 1242 x 2688 pixels (458 ppi), 19.5:9 aspect ratio, HDR10, Dolby Vision, 800 nits
- iOS 13
- Hexa-core Apple A13 Bionic (7 nm+)
- 4GB RAM
- 64GB / 256GB / 512GB Built-in Storage
- 12MP + 12MP + 12MP Triple Rear Camera
- Dual Selfie Cameras – 12MP + 3D ToF sensor
- Colours – Space Gray, Silver, Gold, Midnight Green
- Water and Dust Resistant (IP68)
- Qi Wireless Charging
- 18W Fast Charging (USB Power Delivery 2.0)
- 3969 mAh Non-Removable Li-ion Battery
Design and Display
Apple is no slouch when it comes to displays, so we know the 6.5-inch Super Retina XDR OLED capacitive touchscreen on the iPhone 11 Pro Max has not come to play.
We would have loved if Apple experimented with a new type of notch on this top-shelf model, but we still appreciate the almost 84% screen-to-body ratio we have on this unit.
On the front and back, we have scratch resistant glass panels protected oleophobic coating. They are joined together by a stainless steel frame just like the iPhone 11 Pro. With HDR10 imaging to match, this is one of the clearest and brightest – at 800 nits – screens on the market right now.
Lest we forget, the 120Hz touch-sensing with wide colour gamut will provide for some amazing animations and transitions.
Leaving the main screen for a while, the notch is just about the same with the ones we have on the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro. It also has the speakerphone, dual camera sensors and other relevant sensors embedded in it.
On the sides of the iPhone 11 Pro Max, we have the usual volume rockers and power button, as well as the dedicated mute/ unmute button. Of course, we weren’t expecting a 3.5mm jack, and this is yet another year where we either have to get the AirPods or use earpieces via the Lightning connector port.
Speaking of, the lightning connector is retained with a reversible USB 2.0 technology, and it will be paired on both sides by a speakerphone grille as well as microphone.
Switching over to the back, you could have that beautiful glass panel come in colours of Space Gray, Silver, Gold or Midnight Green – just like the iPhone 11 Pro. Likewise, the iPhone 11 Pro Max offers the same triple camera arrangement in the all-new massive hump, but we might just get used to it soon enough.
If you had taken a look at the iPhone 11 Pro before, there is not much difference between the camera arrangement it brings and that of the iPhone 11 Pro Max.
On the front, all the three iPhone 11 devices have a single 12 megapixels shooter with an accompanying ToF 3D camera to make the dual setup.
The cameras on the back are not different on the two iPhone 11 Pro units either, you get three 12 megapixels snappers. The main camera offers a wide angle lens with phase detection autofocus (PDAF) and Optical image stabilisation (OIS).
The second camera offers a telephoto lens with PDAF, OIS, and 2x Optical zoom, while the third camera offers an ultrawide angle lens.
The back cameras have a quad-LED flash with dual-tone to boost their low light operations, and we will soon see how great they are for the dedicated task.
Hardware, Software and Other Features
Apple is not so big on hardware since they make their chips themselves. Following the development timeline, we have the A13 Bionic chip on the iPhone 11 Pro Max, manufactured with a 7nm+ process.
That is expected to compete against the likes of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 and Snapdragon 855+ chipset, so you should expect all the power and performance efficiency possible from this one.
Storage options for the iPhone 11 Pro Max are the same as the 11 Pro with 64GB, 256GB and 512GB options on the table. Like the other phones released this year from Apple, the iPhone Pro Max version will carry 4GB of RAM too.
Since Apple devices are known to have better RAM management than most other units, this will not be a problem at all.
We are a little disappointed to see that the same 3969 mAh battery has been slapped on this device. Remember that this has a bigger screen to the iPhone 11 Pro, which means more energy will be consumed.
If the dark mode on iOS 13, chipset, and Apple’s ability to tune its devices are to be factored in, you expect good battery life on the iPhone 11 Pro Max.
Speaking of the battery, there is Qi wireless charging technology to take advantage of, as well as 18W fast charging. To put that in context, the phone will reach 50% in just 30 minutes of charging.
iPhone 11 Pro Max Price and Availability
iPhone 11 Pro Max price in Nigeria starts at around 540,000 Naira for the single SIM model and around 580,000 Naira for the dual SIM model.
Apple pegged the smartphone at at $1099, $1249, $1449 for the 64GB, 256GB, and 512GB models respectively.
Released at the Apple event, Apple first set of unit rolled out on September 20, 2019.
- 64GB iPhone 11 Pro Max – ₦565,000 – ₦650,000
- 256GB iPhone 11 Pro Max – ₦635,000 – ₦700,000
- 512GB iPhone 11 Pro Max – ₦740,000 – ₦830,000
Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max Specs
Here are a few specs of the Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max:
- Platform: iOS 13
- Processor: Hexa-core Apple A13 Bionic (7 nm+), 2.65GHz dual-core Lightning + 1.8GHz quad-core Thunder
- GPU: Apple quad-core CPU
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Colours: Space Gray, Silver, Gold, Midnight Green
- Dimension: 158 x 77.8 x 8.1 mm
- Weight: 226 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM (Nano-SIM and/or Electronic SIM card) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by) – for China
- Display: 6.5 inch Super Retina XDR OLED Display, 1242 x 2688 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~458 ppi), HDR10, Dolby Vision, 800 nits
- Screen Protection: Scratch-resistant Glass, Oleophobic coating
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 12MP (wide) + 12MP (telephoto) + 12MP (ultrawide) Triple Camera, 2160p@24fps/30fps/60fps Videos, 1080p@30fps/60fps/120fps/240fps Videos
- Rear Camera Features: PDAF (wide and telephot), OIS (wide and Telephoto), 2x Optical Zoom (telephoto), Quad-LED dual-tone Flash, HDR, Panorama
- Front Camera: 12MP + 3D ToF Dual Camera, HDR, 2160p@24fps/30fps/60fps Videos, 1080p@30fps/60fps/120fps Videos, gyro-EIS
- Built-in Storage: 64GB / 256GB / 512GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: No
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: Yes
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 11(1500), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 21(1500), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 32(1500), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 42(3500), 46, 48, 66(1700/2100)
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes (up to 1.6 Gbps downloads)
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, dual-band
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: USB 2.0, proprietary reversible connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: No
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: Mo
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Siri natural language commands and dictation
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Qi Wireless Charging
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes
- Water Resistant: Yes (IP68), survives up to 30 minutes in up to 4 metres of fresh water
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 3989 mAh Non-Removable Li-ion Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Fast Battery Charging 18W: 50% in 30 min (USB Power Delivery 2.0)