Bulbs are one of the most important things we need to have in our homes as humans. Hardly is there any home you go to in the world today that wouldn’t have a single bulb. This is because light bulbs help us see in the dark.
However, have you ever thought of the harm that might be attached to mishandling these bulbs at home? Maybe not. The harm attached to mishandling certain bulbs in your home goes beyond cutting you when broken.
In this article, I would be taking you through some of the harms of mishandling the fluorescent light bulb in your home.
The fluorescent light bulb is one of the most used bulbs in Nigeria, and this bulb is known to contain a small amount of mercury in it. This little amount of mercury has been discovered to be dangerous to the human health.
It has been confirmed that the amount of mercury present in the fluorescent light bulb is capable of polluting over six thousand gallons of water.
The danger here is that if this bulb breaks, it emits this mercury which in turn contaminates the area. This bulb is also known to contain certain metals like cadmium and lead.
This is why you need to take extra caution when this particular type of bulb breaks. When it breaks you need to ask people to leave the area, and put on your air conditioner or fan for some minutes to blow out the air in the area.
Also, never touch the broken particles of this bulb with your hands. Use a broom to sweep out the particles, this would avoid the particles from piercing your hand and poisoning you.
Also, do not stare directly into this bulb as doing that can harm your eyes. This is because the bulb is known to emit high amount of ultraviolent raditions.
Do not forget to share this post to others so they can learn also.