Getting a pen pal or pen-friend is a great way to connect with many different people from all over the world. Even if you have never had a pen pal, it’s always an interesting idea to try to find one and start communicating with them. Besides, communication has become much easier in our digital age. Follow the steps below to get your own pen pal quickly and easily. Don’t miss reading Top 8 Reasons Why You Can’t Find Love in 2022
1. Decide Why You Want to Get a Pen Pal
The first thing you should do is decide why you want to get a pen-friend in the first place. Are you learning a language and what to practice your skills? Are you interested in different cultures and want to meet people from them? Are you just lonely and looking for someone interesting to befriend?
All of those reasons are valid and can help you decide why you want to get a pen pal. Understanding why you want a pen-friend will help you determine what kind of pen pal you are looking for and which means you need to use to find that kind of person. For example, some pen-friends prefer using snail mail while others will want to use email instead.
2. Imagine Your Ideal Pen Pal
Now that you know why you want a pen pal, you need to imagine what your ideal version of that person looks like. Of course, you won’t be able to find someone who fits your imaginary person perfectly, but you can still look for a pen-friend with specific characteristics. Consider the following:
• Their personality traits such as being friendly or having a sense of humor
• Their skills such as being fluent in the language you want to learn
• Their background such as their ethnicity (if you want to learn about culture)
• Their communication preferences (snail mail vs email vs other digital methods)
3. Plan Out Your Writing Style
While this may seem trivial at first, you will quickly realize that your writing style is important in your communication with your pen pal. The way you write will impact the way that person views you, so you need to think through how casual you want to sound, whether you want to use slang, and so on.
If you are unsure about your writing style, you can look for someone to help you with it. Ask your friends, family, or maybe even hire a professional writer from a service like Best Writers Online. Talk to them and try to develop your writing style together. Your friends and family can help your writing seem more personal while a professional writer will consult you on linguistic nuances and the topics you can talk about (e.g. interests, hobbies).
4. Consider Asking Locally First
Though many people like getting a pen pal who lives on the other end of the world, some prefer to connect with others locally. Indeed, you can easily start looking for a pen pal in your own city or region. This way, you can keep in touch and then even meet up offline.
To find a pen pal in your area, visits events related to your interests, join clubs, and simply ask around your own social network. Even a random stranger could become your pen pal and you could eventually develop a long-lasting friendship with them.
5. Check Different Websites
Another way to look for a pen pal (especially if you want to connect with someone who lives in a completely different country) is by checking different websites dedicated to finding pen-friends. Here are some notable ones to start from:
- Compatipal – Ideal for people who want to connect based on interests and geographic location. Users mostly send short digital messages and can even form groups.
- International Geek Girl Pen Pals Club – Despite the name, the platform accepts pen-friends of all backgrounds. Members can send letters and gifts offline and online.
- Conversation Exchange – Perfect for connecting with language learners. The platform works with over 100 languages, including constructed ones like Esperanto.
6. Get Help If You Feel Overwhelmed
As you start looking for your pen pal or even when you have found one already, you might feel a little overwhelmed. In this case, you need to get help to guide you in the process. Maybe you aren’t sure which topics to talk about or you don’t know which person to connect with when you have reached out to many people.
Whatever the case is, getting help is the best solution. You can ask a writer from a service like Writing Judge to help you write some of your letters. Alternatively, you can choose to just take a step back and rest a little. Don’t be afraid to change your mind if you feel like it.
7. Utilize Social Media to Its Fullest
Social media platforms have already connected millions of people worldwide, but you can take it even further. On one hand, you can exchange social media usernames with your pen-friend to keep up with them even when you are not exchanging letters. On the other hand, you can even use social media to find a pen pal in the first place.
For example, you can join a Facebook group like Worldwide Snail Mail Pen Pals which has been active since 2017 and is considered one of the biggest active free pen pal communities. It is a closed group with thousands of members that are welcoming to newcomers and always ready to connect pen-friends around the world.
8. Always Keep Safety in Mind
The last thing you should always keep in mind is safety. Whether you are still looking for a pen-friend or you are already invested in communicating with one, you need to remember about certain precautions you should take to stay safe and secure:
• Get a P.O. box if you are concerned for your safety.
• Chat with a potential pen pal a bit before deciding to keep up the conversation.
• Never share personal details, especially your banking account information.