The issue of WordPress security plugin cannot be overemphasized, Ordinarily, WordPress on its own unlike other blogging platform is a very secured blogging platform.
However, it is needful that you add some more security plugins in the face of evil men and hackers all around the blogosphere today.
This can be achieved by you adding some extra security and firewall to your site by using a security plugin that enforces a lot of good security practices. Therefore, I have listed 3 very potent WordPress security plugins here and I want to briefly describe them.
1. iThemes Security
iThemes Security (formerly Better WP Security) is the number one wordpress security plugin, it gives you over 30+ ways to secure and protect your WordPress site. On average, 30,000 new websites are hacked each day. WordPress sites can be an easy target for attacks because of plugin vulnerabilities, weak passwords and obsolete software.
Most WordPress admins don’t know they’re vulnerable, but iThemes Security works to fix common holes, stop automated attacks and strengthen user credentials. With one-click activation for most features, as well as advanced features for experienced users, iThemes Security can help protect any WordPress site.
Maintained and Supported by iThemes
iThemes has been building and supporting WordPress tools since 2008. With our full range of WordPress plugins, themes and training, WordPress security is the next step in providing you with everything you need to build the WordPress web.
Get Support and Pro Features
Get added peace of mind with professional support from our expert team and pro features to take your site’s security to the next level with iThemes Security Pro.
iThemes Pro Features:
• User Action Logging – Track when user’s edit content, login or logout.
• Two-Factor Authentication – Use a mobile app such as Google Authenticator or Authy to generate a code or have a generated code emailed to you.
• Import/Export Settings – Saves time setting up multiple WordPress sites.
• Malware Scan Scheduling – Have your site scanned for malware automatically each day. If an issue is found, an email is sent with the details.
• Password Expiration – Set a maximum password age and force users to choose a new password. You can also force all users to choose a new password immediately (if needed).
• Generate Strong Passwords – Generate strong passwords right from your profile screen.
• Dashboard Widget – Manage important tasks such as user banning and system scans right from the WordPress dashboard.
Read reviews here
Wordfence is the most downloaded wordpress security plugin; it provides the best protection available for your website. Powered by the constantly updated Threat Defense Feed, our Web Application Firewall stops you from getting hacked.
Wordfence Scan leverages the same proprietary feed, alerting you quickly in the event your site is compromised. Our Live Traffic view gives you real-time visibility into traffic and hack attempts on your website.
Wordfence Security is 100% free and open source. We also offer a Premium API key that gives you Premium Support, Country Blocking, Scheduled Scans, Password Auditing and we even check if your website IP address is being used to Spamvertize. Click here to sign-up for Wordfence Premium now or simply install Wordfence free and start protecting your website.
Wordfence Security is now Multi-Site compatible and includes Cell phone Sign-in which permanently secures your website from brute force hacks.
Wordfence WordPress Security Features:
• Web Application Firewall stops you from getting hacked by identifying malicious traffic, blocking attackers before they can access your website.
• Threat Defense Feed automatically updates firewall rules that protect you from the latest threats. Premium members receive the real-time version.
• Block common security threats like fake Googlebots, malicious scans from hackers and botnets.
• Real-time blocking of known attackers. If another site using Wordfence is attacked and blocks the attacker, your site is automatically protected.
• Block entire malicious networks. Includes advanced IP and Domain WHOIS to report malicious IP’s or networks and block entire networks using the firewall. Report security threats to network owner.
• Rate limit or block security threats like aggressive crawlers, scrapers and bots doing security scans for vulnerabilities in your site.
• Choose whether you want to block or throttle users and robots that break your security rules.
• Premium users can also block countries and schedule scans for specific times and a higher frequency.
Read review here
3. The All In One WordPress Security plugin
This plugin will take your website security to a whole new level and is designed and written by experts and is easy to use and understand.
It reduces security risk by checking for vulnerabilities, and by implementing and enforcing the latest recommended WordPress security practices and techniques.
All In One WordPress Security also uses an unprecedented security points grading system to measure how well you are protecting your site based on the security features you have activated.
Our security and firewall rules are categorized into “basic”, “intermediate” and “advanced”. This way you can apply the firewall rules progressively without breaking your site’s functionality.
The All In One WordPress Security plugin doesn’t slow down your site and it is 100% free.
Below is a list of the security and firewall features offered in this plugin:
• User Accounts Security
• Detect if there is a user account which has the default “admin” username and easily change the username to a value of your choice.
• The plugin will also detect if you have any WordPress user accounts which have identical login and display names. Having account’s where display name is identical to login name is bad security practice because you are making it 50% easier for hackers because they already know the login name.
• Password strength tool to allow you to create very strong passwords.
• Stop user enumeration. So users/bots cannot discover user info via author permalink.
All in one wordpress security plugin is potent enough to protect against “Brute Force Login Attack” with the Login Lockdown feature. Users with a certain IP address or range will be locked out of the system for a predetermined amount of time based on the configuration settings and you can also choose to be notified via email whenever somebody gets locked out due to too many login attempts.
Read reviews here